First Announcement — kam heute per Email:
Multiple Ways to Design Research — Research cases that reshape the design discipline
12+13 November 2009, Lugano – Switzerland
The Fifth Symposium of the Swiss Design Network wants to highlight research cases informed by knowledge of other disciplines to understand their relevance for design theories, methods and practices.
According to this goal, the conference aims to present a multidisciplinary overview on research projects — from those ones originated within the design field to those ones originated within other fields — that produce design research outcomes useful to outline those theories, methods and practices which influence and reshape the design discipline.
The framework of the conference is based on the assumption that the evolution of sciences and technologies, and their impact on society, suggests new research questions that constantly tend to expand the ways to design research — in term of topics of interests, approaches and contaminations — research questions that can be relevant for the design knowledge, practice and education.
Delivering both panoramic overview and deepening, the conference keynotes and the parallel project sessions are addressed to a wide range of attendees: senior researchers of academia and of companies‘ R&D units, PhD and master students coming from different disciplines, industry exponents involved in the design development and production.
Questions of interest are…
- How do theories, methods and practices from other knowledge domains inform the design research today? And, which kind of exchange exists between them?
- How does design research evolve in contact with other disciplines or contexts?
- How does design research informed by other knowledge suggest fundamental questions for the design discipline?
- Which specific research experience and/or topic outlines relevant design research areas?
- How does the context of technological innovation and industry drive design research methods and practices and vice versa?
- Which scientific and artistic fields are producing research outcomes that could be a point of interest for design research and discipline?
and conference contributions might have their origin in …
- Design Research related to specific and focused design topics with a strong impact on the discipline by integrating theoretical and practical competencies coming from other fields.
- Multidisciplinary research that faces complex questions and shows how design knowledge is influenced by and/or has influence on the multidisciplinary context.
- Research originated by fields and disciplines outside the design domain, like technical and humanistic domains, as well as arts, that produces design research outcomes and/or design typical outputs.
- Fields of investigation and ongoing research outside design domains that could represent, in the middle-long term, future directions for design research and practice.
January 2009 – Call for papers
9 March 2009 – Submission of abstracts open
6 April 2009 – Submission of abstracts closed
13 April 2009 – Review Abstracts
25 May 2009 – Acceptance notice
13 July 2009 – Deadline full Papers
17 August 2009 – Papers accepted / revised
31 August 2009 – Registration open
19 October 2009 – Registration closed
12/13 November 2009 – Symposium
With best regards (and apologies for cross posting), do not hesitate to contact us,
SUPSI | Laboratorio Cultura Visiva
CP 105 | CH-6952 Canobbio
T +41 58 6666 394 | F +41 58 6666 399
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.multipleways09.ch